Are you a beginner at English reading?
Here’s how to differentiate different types of literature!
One of the most commonly asked questions amongst beginners is the difference between fiction and non-fiction. Many people get confused between the two, so if you are confused, worry not. When it comes to movies or literature, it’s essential to have an understanding of their genre. Knowing the difference between fiction and non-fiction enhances your experience of watching a movie or reading a book. It enables learning and helps you pick better books for your taste.
Here is a step by step tips for you;
“Truth may be stranger than fiction but fiction is a lot more interesting” – A.J Race-
The main difference between fiction and non-fiction is that fiction is an outcome of imagination, whereas non-fiction is wholly based on facts and reality. Let’s dive deep into the two genres to understand them better.
- It is made up! It’s not objective or factual. The stories are invented out of imagination
- Fiction books are novels, short stories, and poems.
- Some of the popular sub-genres under fiction are – Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Thriller, Speculative Fiction, Young Adult, Horror, Crime, Historical Fiction, Magic, and Realism
- That includes the infamous; Harry Potter or Game of Thrones
Many people believe in such myths and legends – they think that such stories are real, but they are still categorized as fiction. Now let’s dive deep into the non-fiction genre.
- It is factual and accurate. It’s straightforward and direct.
- Non-fiction books are biographies, memoirs, historical books, self-help books, collections of essays, and academic texts.
- It includes caution and expertise.
- When writing non-fiction, there is no room for ambiguity or vagueness. It has to be one hundred percent factful and accurate.
- There should be no space for imagination or invention. Hence, the references.
When students read, they strengthen several different cognitive muscles, so to speak, that is the root of brain development. In other words, reading is the very activity that, if done right, can develop qualities, traits, and characteristics. With Pandai, learning the English Language will be easy peasy, we have abundant writing and reading skills that can improve students’ learning quick and easy with only the tip of the finger.
Don’t forget to Log in or Sign Up at www.pandai.org
Follow us on our Social Media Now!