Have you ever wondered why some objects float in water and others sink such as you float in the ocean ? Have you learned about density concepts or float and sink in Science learning? So, Pandai Lab 12 will do and explore an experiment that is easy to do at home.. This is so exciting to try because you just need the eggs.
This science experiment is really easy to set up + clean up, and the lesson learned on the density of water. All of these experiments are fun and will be a success to try. Believe me! Let’s do it. Here the details for experiment:
Date: 15 December 2020
Title: Floating Egg Experiment
Materials: Two eggs, two glasses of water, salt, water & a spoon.
1. Fill one of the drinking glasses almost to the top with plain tap water.
2. Then, choose one of the glasses, add four tablespoons of table salt to the water, and stir. Fill the rest of the cup with water, almost to the top.
3. After that, gently drop one of the eggs into the water-filled glass. It sinks right to the bottom!
4. Next, gently place the second egg into the saltwater solution.
5. Wow, you will find a float egg in the saltwater solution. It is a success!
What makes this possible and happened?
Alright, from this experiment, you will start to think for both eggs. It is awesome, right? Ya! You guys already learned the density concept. Density is a measure of the mass per unit volume of a substance. Simply said, how much “stuff” in a given volume. Water has a density of 1 g/mL (g/cm3). Objects will float in water if their density is less than 1 g/mL. Objects will sink in water if their density is greater than 1 g/mL. The egg is denser than the fresh water, this causes it to sink. When you start dissolving salt in the water, this is increasing the density. Besides, the water becomes denser than the egg causing the egg to float. When you carefully add fresh water again, this fresh water is less dense than the salt water so it floats right on top!
You can check the reference on this link for more details:
Check out this video Live Pandai Lab 12 for you: